Skip to content

Legalisation of Spanish documents

Original academic documents must be legalised for them to be valid abroad.

There are two ways of legalising documents, depending on the type of document and the country in which they need to be legally valid.

Consult the instructions on the legalisation of Spanish documents that must be valid abroad.

Legalisation by diplomatic services

Documents that may be the object of signature recognition by the Ministry of Education:

  • Official university degree certificates that are valid throughout Spain and have been issued by a university rector and provisional degree certificates.
  • Higher education and postgraduate certificates issued by the Ministry of Education.
  • Official academic transcripts for courses of study leading to the award of the qualifications mentioned in previous sections, including certificates accompanying study programmes and curricula.(Enrolment certificates are not the object of signature recognition.)
  • Certificates issued by the Ministry of Education stating compliance with the conditions for qualifications required by directives of the Council of the European Union.
  • Public university certificate.In addition to academic documents, some countries require a certificate stating that the University is officially a public institution.If the country in which this certificate is to be used requires its legalisation by diplomatic services, you must request the certificate from the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport directly and it will be sent to your address.To request it, send an e-mail to, stating your FULL NAME, your DNI/NIE/PASSPORT number, the University that is the subject of the certificate and the country in which the document will be used.

The general secretary of the UPC must sign certificates issued by affiliated schools that require legalisation by diplomatic services, so that the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport can recognise the signature and then send the certificate to the Legalisation Section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.In this case, the documents must be sent to the Academic Management Service of the UPC.

Legalisation by a notary public

Non-official academic documents such as degree certificates, certificates and diplomas for university-specific or non-regulated degrees must be legalised by a notary public.Although the legalisation of official documents by a notary public is accepted in many countries, we advise you to confirm this with the relevant body of the country in which the document will be used.

For the legalisation by a notary public of documents issued by the Curricula and Awards Unit (degree certificates and provisional degree certificates), consult the notary public whose services you will require, which depends on the person who has signed the document that you want legalised: Notaries public for legalising the signatures of UPC staff.

In the case of countries that require the public university certificate and allow it to be legalised by a notary public, the legalisation can be requested directly from the administrative unit.

Irrespective of the manner in which they must be legalised, to legalise documents signed by academic and/or administrative staff at the administrative unit you must state explicitly that the documents are to be legalised when you apply for them.The administrative unit will send the documents to the Office of the General Secretary, which will add official legalisation certificates and send them back to the administrative unit, where you will collect them.

All of the information on the legalisation of documents, signature recognition, presentation requirements, etc.can be found on the website of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport.

Further information

Website of the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport - Legalización de documentos académicos universitarios oficiales que han de surtir efectos en el extranjero