Skip to content

Equivalence of foreign doctoral degrees

Acknowledging the equivalence of a foreign doctoral degree implies officially recognising that the interested party has passed a course of study leading to a doctoral degree abroad.

The procedure is governed by the Regulations on the Equivalence of Foreign Doctoral Degrees (Governing Council Agreement no. 91/2016).

  1. Applications

    Interested parties must send their application to the rector and attach the following documents:

    1. A copy of their official identity document.
    2. A copy of the official foreign doctoral degree, which in some cases must have been legalised.
    3. The address of the public repository or website where the doctoral thesis is published. If the thesis is not available online, a copy of the thesis.
    4. A list of the academic publications stemming from the doctoral thesis.

    The application and attached documents must be sent electronically, in accordance with any guidelines on the format and the procedure, in Catalan, Spanish or English. If the documents are in another language, official translations into any of the aforementioned languages must be provided. The thesis must be sent in the original language; if necessary, the applicant will be asked for a translation.

    Only those applications that are related to the Doctoral School’s subject areas and for which the review fee has been paid will be authorised.

  2. Procedure

    Applications are reviewed by the director of the Doctoral School, who issues a report. The doctoral programme coordinators may assist the director, who may, if appropriate, also request reports on an application by academic experts on the topic.

    The review of an application takes into account the correspondence between the academic level of the foreign qualification and that of a Spanish doctorate, in accordance with the provisions of Royal Decree 1027/2011, of 15 July, which establishes the Spanish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education (MECES). Equivalence tables that are official or drawn up by the UPC itself may also be taken into account.

    If necessary, applicants will be asked to provide additional documents that give evidence of the awarding institution, the thesis examination committee, the study programme, the academic record (including details of the course’s duration and the marks awarded), etc.

    The resolution will be communicated to the interested party by electronic means. If the resolution is favourable, applicants must provide, if they have not done so already, the original academic documents (degree certificate, academic record, etc.), which in some cases must have been legalised, and copies thereof, which, together with the identity document, will be certified by the corresponding administrative unit.

  3. Resolution

    Resolutions on the equivalence of foreign doctoral degrees are issued by the rector in accordance with the proposal of the Doctoral School’s director.

    The credential is issued in the form of a certificate, once the corresponding fee has been paid. The Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport is informed of the resolution so that it can be recorded in the Register of Universities, Schools and Degrees.

    Acknowledging the equivalence of a foreign doctoral degree shall not in any case imply the homologation, the declaration of equivalence or the recognition of any other of the interested party’s foreign qualifications nor the recognition in Spain of an academic level other than the doctoral degree level.